I’m doing some form of data visualization learning for 180 days because I need to #JFDI. See post explaining how and why I’m doing this.
Reading and Learning Data Visualization Theoretically/Critically:
Chapter 4 Sticky Situations
- Remember, bar charts are for discrete quantities. Do not change into a line chart to exaggerate a trend p. 126
- Magnify recent dramatic changes if necessary -> but keep in historical context. p 127
- Ant vs Elephant -> Percentage changes are often more telling than absolute values. p. 128
- Five Features that Define Great Visualization:
- 1) Truthful
- 2) Functional
- 3) Beautiful
- 4) Insightful
- 5) Enlightening
- Lie to others
- Lie to yourself
- Minimize misunderstandings
- Graphics are meant to be read, not just glanced at.