I’m doing some form of data visualization learning for 180 days because I need to #JFDI. See post explaining how and why I’m doing this.
Reading and Learning Data Visualization Theoretically/Critically:
- Graphics made to mislead including bucketed dates or leaving out information – choosing the headlines first and finding data to corroborate
- “Motivated Reason” – you look for data that corroborates your story – data needs to be explored, take into account confounding variables, etc.
- Give enough information to give contest, don’t feed audiences and let their biases fill the picture -> example of simplistic maps of Ukraine’s conflict that appeared to show a geographic split whereas the situation was incredibly more complicated.
Intro and “You Section” p. xi – 13
- Importance of combining aesthetics, technology, and journalism
- Use of color to tie together data points
- Use of weighted lines to string together a narrative