I’m doing some form of data visualization learning for 180 days because I need to #JFDI. See post explaining how and why I’m doing this.
Module Four Scales Review
- Rewatched and commented all code to boost understanding. Finding every time I do so I think more about what the functions do and how to solve problems.
Reading and Learning Data Visualization Theoretically/Critically:
Reading Nathan Yau’s book Data Points – Visualization that Means Something
p. 135-150 Exploring Data Visually
- Process of exploring data four steps p 136
- What data do you have?
- What do you want to know about your data?
- What visualization methods should you use?
- What do you see and does it make sense?
- “Common misconception is that you must understand a graphic in less than 10 seconds. Relationships and patterns aren’t always straightforward so just because a visualization takes a few minutes to understand doesn’t make it a failed attempt.” p 141
- Mosaics/news maps can be useful for showing subcategories p. 150