I’m doing some form of data visualization learning for 180 days because I need to #JFDI. See post explaining how and why I’m doing this.
Intermediate D3 for Data Visualization Knight Center Course Stacked Area Charts
- In a stack layout,y0 represents the baseline value
- The primary role of d3.svg.area() is to to generate SVG path definition attributes, based on data.
- D3 layouts lay out SVG elements.
- “D3 layouts do not, in fact, lay anything out for you on the screen. The layout methods have no direct visual output. Rather, D3 layouts take data that you provide and remap or otherwise transform it, thereby generating new data that is more convenient for a specific visual task.”
- “A centroid is the calculated center point of any shape, whether that shape is regular (like a square) or highly irregular (like an outline of the state of Maryland).
arc.centroid()is a super-helpful function that calculates and returns the center point of any arc. We translate each
textlabel element to each arc’s centroid, and that’s how we get the text labels to float right in the middle of each wedge.”
- All D3 layouts: