I’m doing some form of data visualization learning for 180 days because I need to #JFDI.
*Good development this week in that my frustration with not knowing anything or just jumping over another learning hump to see there’s another hill is now not anywhere as it was daunting as it was 30 days ago let alone 180 days ago. I’m actually getting more genuinely excited on being able to make stuff in the near future now then dreading more learning and frustration like some points of this process.
Reading and Learning Data Visualization Theoretically/Critically:
Chapter 8 Data Density and Small Multiples
- “Good design has two key elements. Graphical elegance is often found in simplicity of design and complexity of data. Visually attractive graphics also gather power from content and interpretations beyond the immediate display of some numbers. The best graphics are about the useful and important, about life and death, about the universe. Beautiful graphics do not traffic with the trivial” p 177
- “The substantive content, extensiveness of labels, and volume and ordering data all help determine the choice of method for the display of quantitative materials. The basic structures for showing data are the sentence, the table, and the graphic. Often two more three of these devices should be combined.” p 178
- On tables and text
- “Tables are clearly the best way to show exact numerical values, although the entries can also be arranged in semi-graphical form. Tables are preferable to graphics for many small data sets.”p 178
- “One super table is far better than a hundred little bar charts.” p 179
- “Words and pictures belong together.” p 180